Menu of Opportunities
Resources for Involvement in Science Pre-Service
Research on Best Practices
- Eisenhamer, B., McCallister, J.D., Knisely, l., Bradbury, H., 2005, Professional Development for Pre- and In-Service Educators, poster at the Tucson Astronomical Society of the Pacific EPO Conference
- Ruberg, L. F. and Jones, S., Examining the Potential for Using Space Science as a Context for Teaching Among Minority-Serving Preservice Faculty
- Astronomy Education Review, online peer-reviewed journal and compendium of research, news, resources, and opinion
- Bailey, Janelle M., and Slater, Timothy F. 2003, A Review of Astronomy Education Research, Astronomy Education Review
- Private Universe A collection of video clips of students' astronomical ideas (seasons and moon phases) and how they change (or don’t) with classroom instruction.
- Beyond the Solar System: Expanding the Universe in the Classroom Video exploration of the structure and evolution of the universe and the nature of science designed for 8–12 educators and their students.
- Journal of Science Teacher Education (JSTE), the official journal of the Association for the Education of Teachers of Science (ASTE), published quarterly.
- ASTE's Professional Knowledge Standards for Science Teacher Educators
- Benchmarks Excerpts: related to Earth and Space Science
- Excerpts from Blueprints On-Line: Ch 9 Teacher Education
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) Standards for Science Teacher Preparation (PDF). (2003)
Content and Activities
- Agan, L. and Sneider, C., 2004, Learning About the Earth’s Shape and Gravity: A Guide for Teachers and Curriculum Developers: The Astronomy Education Review, Volume 2, p. 90–117.
- Kavanagh, C., Agan, L., and Sneider, C., 2005, Learning about Phases of the Moon and Eclipses: A Guide for Teachers and Curriculum Developers: The Astronomy Education Review, Volume 4, p. 19–52.
- The new GEMS Space Science Sequences for Grades 3-5 and 6-8