Pre-Service Education Working Group
Notes from February 1, 2007 PSEWG Telecon
Cheri St. Arnauld
Discussion began with rumors and comments regarding the ROSES proposals and continued with a description of the proposals
Laurie asked if any of the PSEWG were applying to be on the Student Collaboration Program Definition Team; no one has done so and some were unfamiliar with it. (The deadline for submitting a letter is tomorrow.)
- Christine emailed the announcement out to the members of PSEWG
- Bill agreed to apply.
We then discussed the NACCTEP conference and information to share.
- Denise and Cheri described the workshop
- Cheri would like it to include information regarding opportunities for professional development, and some type of assessment of the community’s needs, perhaps through a survey.
- Cheri described the conference attendees as faculty involved in teacher preparation, as well as administration and presidents of community colleges; the majority of their memberships are “2 plus 2 programs” that involve transfer programs from high school to community colleges up to universities.
- Tim agreed that we should absolutely share information about “Cosmos in the Classroom”
- Rick asked if there was any place at that conference for discussion on a pedagogical component, or how that group would look at a pedagogical future workshop?
- Tim said they could include the question on the evaluation form, or include an hour-long session on pre-service this year
- Bill said there were posters on pre-service in 2004
- Greg and Bill and Tim and Rick volunteered to try to put something together for this year (Pomona, CA, Aug 2-6) and Bill has already emailed Andy Fraknoi to get the ball rolling.
- Tim’s CAE workshops would also be appropriate to share at this year’s NACCTEP.
- Christine will put together a flier with information about Cosmos in the Classroom and the CAE workshops and send them to Matt Bobrowsky.
Christine promised to email everyone with information about the next telecon, which will probably be either March 1st or March 8th.