Eclipse Over Houston Art Competition
Do you love science and have a creative side?
Create visual or literary art about solar eclipse science
or how the eclipse impacts humanity!
Calling all artists, young and old, to submit original visual or literary artwork by August 8, 2017.
Anyone in the Houston area can participate, and winners will be selected for multiple age groups: 5-9, 10-13, 14-18, and adult. Multiple art entries can be submitted per artist.
Visual Art - Any type of 2-dimensional (“flat”) art can be submitted as .jpg, .gif, or .png files with a maximum file size of 15 Mb. You may need to scan or photograph your original art.
Literary Art - Any type of poetry or story that fits on one (8-1/2 x 11) page, double spaced, with 12 point font can be submitted as a pdf file.
How to Enter:
All entries must be submitted by August 8, 2017 using the online entry form. Artists must prepare and submit the following:
- Contact information for each artist.
- If an artist is a minor, contact information for a parent or guardian also required.
- Artist’s Statement of Originality: Describe the motivation or story behind your artwork and list your materials and any credits to borrowed work. 400 words maximum.
- Title of artwork
- Artwork file
- Agreement Form: Each artist must submit an Agreement Form that allows us to display the artwork. A signable agreement will appear at the end of the entry form.
If you would like to submit multiple art entries, please complete the online entry form once for each entry.
Artwork can be disqualified for either:
1) Falsification of any information on the forms, plagiarism or use of copyrighted material without permission.
2) Use of profanity, nudity not representing the human body in a positive way, substance abuse, or violent images.
- Mechanics or Skill
- Inherent Meaning/Message/Story
- Related to or About the Eclipse Theme
Winners will be notified in mid-August and then artwork will be displayed at the Freeman Public Library, Levy Park, and the Lunar and Planetary Institute for at least 2 weeks, including during the Aug. 21st Eclipse festivities. Artwork will also be used on social media to encourage everyone in Houston to go out and see the 2017 eclipse.
FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
Can I participate if I am not living in Houston?
This is a “Houston Area” competition only. A “Houston Area” participant is anyone living within about 50 miles of downtown Houston in any direction.
Can I submit a literary entry if my native language is not English?
Yes. All literary artwork submitted to either category should be in the English language, even if your native language is not English.
What ages can participate?
All ages can submit an art entry. We will select winners from multiple age groups. Anyone younger than 18 years old will need a parent signature on the agreement form. You will receive instructions how to sign the agreement form via an email after you submit the entry form.
Can visual or literary art be about anything?
The art can be any style, but to score well in the judging, it must be about a solar eclipse.
Can I submit multiple entries?
Yes! Multiple entries are allowed. You will need to fill out an entry form for each entry.
How will winners be notified?
Winners will be notified via email in mid-August.
How can I find out more about Eclipse Over Houston events?
Information on Eclipse Over Houston events can be found here. If you have additional questions about Eclipse Over Houston, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 281-486-2160.
News and Events
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader.