Family Space Day Overview - Gas Giants
Family Space Day is a three hour event. The activities are set up so that children
and parents can select the order in which they undertake activities. Parents and
children are encouraged to learn, play, and explore together.
Objectives of the Day
- learn characteristics of the Gas Giants.
- model their sizes and distances from the Sun.
- discover that the Gas Giants are much larger than Earth and made of
- investigate the interiors of the Gas Giants.
- Station 1: Gas Giant Posters
Children and their parents will view 8 posters with basic information about
the four gas giants such as distance from Earth, temperature, make-up, and
size to gain a better understanding of the planets.
- Station 2: Rocky Planet or Gas Giant?
After viewing the posters, children will determine whether the statement
given is a description of an inner planet or an outer planet.
- Station 3: Candy Gas Giants
Using craft materials or edible materials, children create a model of Earth
and a model of their favorite Gas Giant.
- Station 4: Gas Giants Sun Catcher
Children create sun-catchers in the shape of the four outer planets.
- Station 5: Solar System Mobile
With the aid of clues found in “The Solar System I’m Rhyme” song, children learn about the characteristics and sizes of the planets in our solar system and create their own“ Solar System on a String” mobile.
- Station 6: Where are they? Traveling to the Gas Giants
Children investigate the distances between, and relative sizes of, the Sun,
Earth, and different Gas Giants in this active modeling activity.
- Station 7: Storms on Jupiter
In this demonstration activity, your child will see how the clouds swirl
around in a storm and compare them to the Great Red Spot’s movement.
- Station 8: Saturn Model
Children create a model of Saturn using a Styrofoam ball and paper plate.
- Station 9: Saturn Flip Book
Children learn about Saturn’s layers as they create their own flip book.
- Station 10: Coloring Sheets and Games
Children can relax and color and play simple games related to the gas
- Station 11: Reading Room
Children and their parents can browse and read a selection of books about
the gas giants (refer to book list for suggested reading).
Facilitator Information – Gas Giants
Explore the Gas Giants– Book and Website References
All About the Gas Giants– A Gas Giant Fact Sheet