Topography and Satellite ImagesSTEP Participant home page
- Students may not recognize that the colors in a topographic map are related to altitude and may think they are temperature, water/continents, etc.
- Students have difficulty understanding contour lines and interpreting topographic data
- Play-doh topographic Maps
Students make a clay model volcano, and then create a topographic map of it.
- Topographic Salad-Tray Model
Use salad tray lids to mark the different contour lines, creating a 3D topographic map.
- Highs and Lows, floods and flows
This activity provides an introduction to topographic maps, using Mars data.
- Blue Marble Matches
Examine and identify features of Earth using satellite images.
- USGS Activity Sheet—How to Read a Topographic Map
- Map Matching Worksheet
- Exploring Earth has some online interactives related to topography
- Think-Pair-Share questions
Post a Comment:
comments powered by Disqus