Participant FAQs for the Solar System Exploration Pre-Service Teacher Institute
Location and Transportation
- The weeklong workshop will take place at the Lunar and Planetary Institute, 3600 Bay Area Blvd, Houston, TX.
- Most days will start at approximately 9 am, and end by 4 pm. Exceptions:
- The tour of Johnson Space Center’s Astromaterials Laboratory will begin by boarding vans at 8 am at LPI on Thursday, June 26.
- There will be an optional evening telescope observing session at LPI on Wednesday night, from approximately 8-10 pm, weather permitting. Family members are welcome to join us.
- Participants may make their own transportation and hotel arrangements.
- In this trying economic time, we recommend that all travel arrangements include refundable options, rather than non-refundable hotel reservations or plane tickets.
- We have blocked out rooms at the nearby Candlewood Suites for the rate of $79/night; you should make your own reservations.
- The Houston climate is hot and humid during summer; in June the average maximum temperature is 90 degrees F.
- We will be creating a list of participants; please let us know if you do not want us to share your contact information with the other participants.
- We will be providing lunch every day; please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions.
Items to Pack
- Please do feel free to bring your camera.
- Please bring your driver’s license; it will be needed for the security badge for the tour at Johnson Space Center’s Astrophysical Materials Laboratory
- Dress is casual.
- The meeting rooms may be chilly for some participants; please bring a jacket with you.