About Explore!
Topics
Calendar
Discussion Boards
News Archive
Contact Us

Education home page

My Summer Library Plans

Network with other children's program providers and discuss strategies for bringing space science to children on this board. Share successful programming ideas or models to help inspire others!

My Summer Library Plans

Postby PennyJohnson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Hello everyone!

I thought I would share with you my summer library plans for our "Curiosity Club". I am targeting those who have completed grades 4-6. We will have seven 90-minute sessions. I am combining some of the activities found in the "Mars Inside & Out" topic along with some of the activities from the "Explore Mars" topic.

Week One: Mars Imaginings: The Story
Week Two: Mars on the outside (using Mars Match, Carving Channels, Volcanoes Go with the Flow and Crater Creations)
Week Three: Mars on the inside (using Recipe for a Planet)
Week Four: Mars Garden
Week Five: Mars Creatures (including the Creature Challenge and a discussion of extremophiles here on earth)
Week Six: Mars Engineering (this session is scheduled for a few days before Curiosity will be landing on Mars)
Week Seven: A review party, plus watching video clips of the Curiosity landing on Mars.

I will be fleshing out these plans in the next few weeks. The whole program begins June 20th. I will post more ideas and plans as they develop!!

Penny in Baraboo WI
PennyJohnson

Full Name: Penny Johnson

Re: My Summer Library Plans

Postby PennyJohnson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Here is the information I put on my publicity flyers. If you would like to see the full brochure with graphics, etc., let me know and I will email it to you!

Curiosity Club
For students completing grades 4-6

What will the new Mars Curiosity Rover find when it lands in August? Discover fun and interesting things about the planet Mars this summer with crafts, games, and experiments. Take a look at our fabulous events:

June 20 — Science or Fiction?
Explore silly and true stories about the planet Mars. Put together your summer club notebook.

June 27 — Scratching the Surface
Create your own planet surface complete with volcanoes, craters, and channels.

July 11 — Recipe for a Planet
Rice Krispie treats and Mars — how are they related?

July 18 — Mars Gardens
Could you grow a garden on Mars? Plant your own take-home garden and find out!

July 25 — Martian Creatures
What would a Martian really look like? Create your own creature from space!

August 1 — Red Rover, Red Rover
Build your own Mars Rover!

August 8 — Happy Landing Party
Watch a video of the Curiosity Rover landing and celebrate everything you have learned about Mars!
PennyJohnson

Full Name: Penny Johnson

Return to Planning Children's Programs