We are adding COinS (Content Objects in Spans) metadata to Contribution pages. The enhanced citations should now work with OpenURL resolvers and citation tools, such as Zotero. There will be no visible changes to the pages, only more functionality.
There is a new LROC browse interface, Quickmap. Start at reduced WAC resolution and end up on the surface at full NAC resolution.
Some features include:
- Context map (lower right) for simple navigation
- Ability to zoom in/out
- Ability to use arrow keys to move around in the map
- Ability to zoom in a region by holding shift key down and highlight region of interest
Videos of talks and scientists discussing their work were made at the recent 42nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (LPSC).
- NRC Planetary Decadal Survey 2013-2022
- NASA Briefing by Dr. James Green
- Georgiana Kramer, Lunar and Planetary Institute
- Juliane Gross, Lunar and Planetary Institute
- James Head, Brown University
- Everett Gibson, Johnson Space Center
- James Green and Steve Squyres Press Conference
- Masursky Lecture with Dr. Robin M. Canup “Formation of Planetary Satellites”
The LPI has added ten new NASA monthly press release images to our Flickr site.
- Distinctive Rayed Impact Crater in Meridiani Planum
- Russian Phobos-Grunt Mission Landing Sites
- Color Panorama of ‘Santa Maria’ Crater for Opportunity’s Anniversary
- Linear Ridges
- Sublunar Void of Previously Imaged Lava Tube
- Challenger Astronauts Memorialized on the Moon
- Emi Koussi Volcano, Chad
- Aitken Central Peak, Seen Obliquely
- Shinmoe-dake Volcano Erupts on Kyushu
- MESSENGER Explores Mercury In Color
The 5th LROC Planetary Data System (PDS) release includes images acquired between 16 September 2010 and 15 December 2010. This release includes 69,505 EDR images totaling 8498 Gbytes and 69,528 CDR images totaling 17,651 Gbytes worth of data. The LROC Team also made its first Reduced Data Record (RDR) release, which represents a culmination of hard work calibrating, map projecting, and creating mosaics and topographic maps from LROC images. The RDR release includes a global WAC monochrome mosaic, NAC mosaics for 40 regions of interest (ROI), numerous NAC DTM products, NAC North and South Polar mosaics, several example WAC UV and VIS regional mosaics, and over 8000 WAC North and South Pole co-registered images. The RDR release totals over 8400 images totaling over 2 Tbytes of data.
The Lunar and Planetary Science Conference is video-streaming some content. Some of the major presentations now available are:
- Masursky Lecture with Dr. Robin M. Canup, Formation of Planetary Satellites
- James Green and Steve Squyres Press Conference on NRC Planetary Decadal Survey 2013-2022
- NRC Planetary Decadal Survey
There are also shorter clips showing reactions to the Decadal Survey by some planetary scientists. More content will be added as the Conference continues.
The scars of impacts on Mars, is a collection of new imagery and captions from ESA’s Mars Express.
Deformation of Sedimentary Rocks in Valles Marineris, Mars, images and caption contributed by Dr. Joannah Metz, is the Image of the Month from IAG Working Group on Planetary Geomorphology.
Issue 23 of Selenology Today is now up. Detection of a meteoroidal impact on the Moon S. Sposettii, M. Iten and R. Lena is the only article in the issue.