More on the Announcement
- Article in Sky & Telescope, October 1996
- Text of article in Science
- NASA Announcement on Life on Mars
- Mars: Life Signs? (CNN Special Section)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science News Release
- Evidence for Life on Mars? (SJI)
More on the ALH 84001 Meteorite
- Curator's Description of the ALH 84001
- Life on Mars? (NSSDC)
- Life on Mars? (JSC)
- Life on Mars? (GSFC)
More on the Martian Meteorites
- Meteorites from Mars (General) JSC Curator
- Meteorites from Mars (In Depth) JSC Curator
- Meteorites from Mars (in Gruesome Detail) JSC Curator
- Bibliography of Martian Meteorites
- Mars Meteorites (JPL)
More on Antarctic Meteorites
- ANSMET Meteorite Program
- Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter
- NASA Curator's Office at JSC
- Antarctic Meteorite Location & Mapping Project (AMLAMP)
More on Extraterrestrial Life
Life in Extreme Environments
Life on Mars
- Articles and Background Information at SEDS
- Life on Mars? [Federation of American Scientists (FAS)]
- Mars Primitive Life Research (Spacelink)
Press releases and a nice collection of images with captions.
- Life on Mars Bibliography
- The Viking Experiments
Life in the Solar System
More on Spacecraft Missions
Mars Global Surveyor Mission
Mars Pathfinder Mission
- Mars Pathfinder Project Information (NSSDC)
- Mars Pathfinder Project Home Page (JPL)
- Mars Pathfinder Rover (JPL)
- Mars Pathfinder (SpaceLink)
Mars Surveyor '98 Mission
- Mars Surveyor '98 Orbiter (NSSDC)
- Mars Surveyor '98 Lander (NSSDC)
- Mars Surveyor '98 Lander (UCLA)
- Mars Surveyor '98 (JPL)
- No author cited (1977) Post-Viking Biological Investigations of Mars. National Academy of Sciences.
- Multiple Authors, (1995) "Life on Mars: Past Present and Future," Sec. 2 in Advances in Space Research, 15(3).
- Biemann, K. et al., (1977) "The Search for Organic Substances and Inorganic Volatile Compounds in the Surface of Mars", Journal of Geophysical Research, 82, 4641-4648.
- Biemann, K. & Lavoie,J.M., (1979) "Some Final Conclusions and Supporting Experiments Related to the Search for Organic Compounds on the Surface of Mars" Journal of Geophysical Research, B84, 8385-8390.
- Blackburn, T. B, et al., (1979) "Viking Gas Exchange Reaction: Simulation on UV-Irradiated Manganese Dioxide Substrate", Journal of Geophyiscal Research, 84, 8391-8394.
- Burgess, E., (1978) "Shades of Van Leeuwenhoek," Chap. 7 in To the Red Planet, Columbia University Press.
- Carr, M. H., (1996) "Implications for Life," Chap. 8 in Water on Mars, Oxford University Press.
- Cooper, H. S. F. (1980) The Search For Life on Mars: The Evolution of and Idea. Holt, Rinehart, and Winston.
- Fisher, D. E. (1985) The Third Experiment: Is There Life on Mars? Atheneum.
- Horowitz, N. H. (1977) The Search for Life on Mars. Scientific American, 237(5), 52-61.
- Horowitz, N. H.,(1986) To Utopia and Back: The Search for Life in the Solar System, W. H. Freeman and Company.
- Huguenin, R. L., (1982) "Chemical Weathering and the Viking Biology Experiments on Mars", Journal of Geophysical Research, 87, 10069-10082.
- Metz, W. D. (1976) Viking: End of First Phase of 70's Space Spectacular. Science, 194, 819-820.
- Postgate, J. (1994) The Outer Reaches of Life. Cambridge University.
- Task Group on Planetary Protection, (1992) "Limits of Life on Earth: Expansion of the Microbial World and Detection of Life", Chap. 4 in Biological Contamination of Mars; Issues and Recommendations, National Academy Press.
- Zent, A. P. (1996) The Evolution of the Martian Climate. American Scientist, 84, 442-451.
Back to The Mars Meteorite Main Page Other LPI Research Resources Back to LPI Home Page