- Ph.D. Geology, August 2006, Stony Brook University. GPA 3.92 Dissertation: Constraints on the Chemistry of Martian Magmas.
- B.S. Marine Science and Geological Sciences, May 2001, University of Miami. GPA 3.3 Thesis: Volatiles in basaltic glasses from a subglacial volcano in northern British Columbia (Canada): implications for ice sheet thickness and mantle volatiles.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Lunar and Planetary Institute August 2006–present.
- Adjunct Professional Assistant, Suffolk Community College ES115 Physical Geology January 2006– August 2006
- Teaching Assistant, Stony Brook University, GEO 401/407 Optical Mineralogy/Mineralogy and Petrology II, September 2002– January 2002, September 2003–January 2003
- Teaching Assistant, Stony Brook University, GEO 306, Mineralogy and Petrology I, January 2002- May 2002
- Teaching Assistant, Stony Brook University, GEO 112 Physical Geology Lab, September 2001–December 2001
- Acid Fog on Mars II: Experimental Study of Halogens in Martian Basalts and their Fluids. Filiberto is Co-I from Mars Fundamental Research Program. Funded 2009-2012 at $150,000 per year.
- Stephen E. Dwornik Planetary Geoscience Student Paper Award (Best Poster presentation) Lunar and Planetary Science Conference 2006
- Student Travel Award, NASA Cosmochemistry Program, Meteoritical Society Meeting, 2005
- GAANN Fellowship, Dept. of Geosciences, SUNY Stony Brook, 2005
- Student Poster Award in Physical Sciences, First Place, Undergraduate Research Day, University of Miami, 2001
- Student Poster Award Overall, First Place, Undergraduate Research Day, University of Miami, 2001
- Earth Science Honor Society Award, Sigma Gamma Epsilon, 2001
- Departmental Honors, Marine Science, University of Miami, 2001
- Departmental Honors, Geological Sciences, University of Miami, 2001
Professional Activities & Services
- Lunar and Planetary Science Conference Program Committee 2009
- NASA Lunar Science Institute Review Panel
- Chair, Lunar and Planetary Institute 40th Anniversary Seminar Series, January 2008-December 2008
- Co-Chair, Lunar and Planetary Institute Seminar Series, May 2007-December 2008
- Co-Chair, Session: Meteorites from Mars: Shergottites and Nakhlite Invasion, 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, 2008.
- Invited Speaker, University of Houston Clear Lake, Physics Seminar Series. What Can Experimental Petrology Tell Us About Martian Rocks? February 2008
- Organizer and Convener, Workshop on Water in Planetary Basalts, Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston, TX, November 2007
- Invited Speaker, Lunar and Planetary Institute Seminar Series. Ferropicrites: Terrestrial Analogues of the SNC Meteorites? February 2006
- Referee, Meteoritics and Planetary Science, Chemical Geology, NASA Mars Fundamental Research Program, NASA Cosmochemistry Program
- Speaker, A Martian Christmas, Mendel Elementary School, Houston, TX, 2008
- Speaker, Rocks from Mars, Pasadena Optimist Club, Pasadena, TX, 2008
- Speaker, Mars Rocks, Seminar Day, Horace Greely High School, Chappaqua, NY, 2006
Undergraduate Research Supervision, Summer Intern
- The Effect of Fluorine on the Liquidus of a Martian Basalt. Justin Wood, Rutgers University, summer 2008
- Ni Partitioning Behavior at Magmatic Conditions. Colin Jackson, University of California, Santa Cruz, summer 2007
- The Influence of Fluorine on Crystallization of Martian Basalt. Jen Cherlin, SUNY Stony Brook, 2004-2005
to Scientific Staff page
September 1, 2009