Virtual Trips to Extreme Environments
This NASA-funded program leverages the excitement of NASA research at extreme environments with a virtual mentoring program to increase student interest in STEM careers and STEM identity.
VIRTEX Co-Design Workshop
On October 19 – 20, 2023, VIRTEX will hold a 2-day co-design workshop at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston, TX to begin to develop this curriculum, with input from education staff at Boys & Girls Clubs. Travel stipends will be provided to those selected to attend.Apply now to participate.
Application deadline: September 10, 2023.
- Explore a variety of hands-on activities that connect to STEM careers, NASA research, problem-solving skills, and communication and collaboration.
- Gather input from Boys & Girls Clubs staff on student interests, skills, and experiences.
- Brainstorm modifications and new activities that will be useful, exciting, and of interest for BGC students ages 10-15.
For more information, contact Christine Shupla at [email protected].
VIRTEX will connect students with researchers working in extreme environments such as:
VIRTEX Team Members and Partners:
Principal Investigator: Dr. Lisa Gaddis, LPI Director
Project Manager: Christine Shupla, LPI Science Engagement Manager
- Dr. Grace Beaudoin, LPI
- Kevi Duty, Texas Alliance of Boys & Girls Clubs
- Paige Graff, Jacobs at NASA Johnson Space Center, ARES
- Daniella Scalice, NASA Ames
- Dr. Justin Filiberto, NASA Johnson Space Center, ARES
- Dr. Robert Herrick, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Dr. Pascal Lee, Haughton-Mars Project, SETI Institute
- Dr. Kennda Lynch, LPI
- Dr. Prajkta Mane, LPI
- Antarctic Search for Meteorites (ANSMET), Dr. James Karner
- BlackInAstro, Ashley Walker
- Blue Marble Space Institute of Science, Dr. Graham Lau and Julia DeMarines
- GeoLatinas, Dr. Frances Rivera-Hernandez and Dr. Cindy Bergeron
For more information, contact [email protected].
VIRTEX is supported by NASA Next Gen STEM, a project of NASA’s Office of STEM Engagement, under cooperative agreement award number 80NSSC23M0078. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).