The Alta Reflectance Spectrometer - Classroom Package Available for Loan
The Lunar and Planetary Institute is pleased to offer two Alta® Reflectance Spectrometer Classroom Packages for loan to educational institutions. Included in the loan set are:
- 15 ALTA Spectrometers (9V batteries not included)
- Booklet with 10 lessons (created 2000) for use with the ALTA
- (Basic Option): no rocks needed; this will save on shipping costs
- (Moon Option): 32 rocks (hand samples) in canvas rock bags: 8 basalt, 8 anorthosite, 8 dunite, 4 limestone chalk, 4 rhyolite, for use with the Seeing the Moon educator’s guide, which incorporates several spectrometry activities that use the ALTA
- (Mars Option): 24 rocks (hand samples) in canvas rock bags: 8 basalt, 4 hematite, 4 specularite, 4 limestone chalk, 4 rhyolite, for use with the Mars Mystery Rocks activity.
To obtain a loan of a classroom set of spectrometers:
- Request loan of the spectrometers through the online request form.
- Loans will be filled based on a first-requested-first-served basis. Institutions must be in the United States (including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands). We require at least 5 days advanced notice to ship an ALTA kit.
- After the request has been received, LPI will contact you with any questions, and will follow up with a link for an online loan agreement 1 to 2 months before the loan period, which must be completed within 10 days of the email in order to retain the ALTA kit reservation.
- Agree to return all contents of the ALTA® Reflectance Spectrometer classroom set packed in the same manner as it arrived. The materials must be returned on the agreed-upon date, using a carrier that provides tracking information.
- After borrowing the ALTAs, please fill out the online survey of how the ALTAs were used.
Back to Alta Reflectance Spectrometer home page
- For questions, please contact [email protected]