Our Solar System
For children age 12-17 and families.
Work in groups or as a family to place the Event Cards in a timeline of events that have occurred throughout the history of the Earth and Moon.
What you need:
Here are two suggestions for completing the activity:
- Share with all participants that they will be using their bodies to create a timeline of the Earth’s and Moon’s shared history.
- Provide each person with an event card.
- Invite everyone to work together to determine which events happened first, second, third, and so on.
- Have them arrange themselves as a human timeline across the room.
- Compare their arrangement with the answers in the answer sheet.
- Discuss the information about the rocks.
- Which rocks are older, rocks from the Earth or rocks from the Moon? (The Moon rocks are older.)
- How common might old Moon rocks be? (Very common; most rocks from the Moon are billions of years old)
- Why might these old Moon rocks be important? (They contain information about things that happened to the Earth and Moon.)