ExMAG Spring 2023 Meeting
August 1–3, 2023
The Extraterrestrial Materials Analysis Group (ExMAG) Spring Meeting originally planned for April 25–27, 2023, will be held on August 1–3, 2023, as a virtual meeting.
The ExMAG Annual Meeting will be open to the public and scheduled over three six-hour days. It will focus NASA's extraterrestrial materials collections, curation, and sample return activities. The meeting will include updates from NASA HQ and curation as well as reports on the collections, sample return activities in progress and planned, advanced curation methods, NASA funding and facilities, and data archiving. There will be a virtual poster session and social event where community members can exchange information about extraterrestrial materials collections, curation, and analysis facilities.
The agenda is now available. Please check this website for updates as the meeting date approaches.View Agenda
ExMAG Poster Session
An informal opportunity to view posters and meet in a fun online setting is available by joining Gather.town. Use Chrome or Microsoft Edge for the best results.
Reference How to use Gather.town for more information.
Q&A During the Meeting
During the meeting, use the Slido link to submit and upvote questions and provide answers.
How to ask questions using Slido
- Open the virtual platform using the virtual connection link above.
- Click on the following Slido link: https://app.sli.do/event/ucCBZr37stNJevvzpKSHwC. This link will open in a separate window. You may also use a mobile device for slido.
- Update your profile to include your full name so moderators and other attendees can easily identify you.
- Go to the Q&A tab. Use the “Type your question” box to enter questions.
- Moderators will be monitoring the questions and reading them to presenters during the Q&A portions of the meeting.
- Click on the thumb sign to upvote a question.
- Click on the ellipses (3 dots) to withdraw or edit a question.
ExMAG Meeting Participation Stipends Available
ExMAG is pleased to provide support (up to $2,000 per person) to students and early-career* researchers to enable attendance and participation at ExMAG meetings. We welcome applications from those who are new to the extraterrestrial materials community, hope to gain a better understanding of the role of ExMAG, and are interested in expanding their own service and connection to the community.
Support can be used toward costs that affect the ability to participate in the meeting (e.g., child or elder care). Those receiving support will be expected to attend and assist with the meeting through, for example, moderating questions, advancing slides, etc. Recipients must be able to cover costs prior to attendance because the financial support will be paid after the meeting.
*Early career refers to those within 10 years of terminal degree. Time taken away from career activities for family or health reasons, or for military service, will not be counted against this time limit for eligibility. For questions about eligibility in specific circumstances, please contact [email protected].
Eligibility and Application requirements:
- Applicants must be able to receive U.S. income.
- ExMAG executive committee members are not eligible to apply. Applications from sub-committee members are welcome.
- Civil servants are not eligible to apply.
The application deadline has passed.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Kate Burgess or Manavi Jadhav
Email: [email protected]
The ExMAG meeting will facilitate a mentoring program for early-career and/or new community members. This program will pair mentees with ExMAG community members who have attended several ExMAG meetings so that they can help the mentee understand the workings of ExMAG, help broaden their network, and answer all questions pertaining to the meeting. Mentors and mentees will meet virtually prior to the meeting, and mentees will be invited to connect with each other during the meeting.
If you are interested in serving as a mentor or being mentored, please contact:
Dr. Manavi Jadhav
ExMAG Committee Member
Email: [email protected]
Oral Presenter Information
To facilitate a smooth transition between speakers, all presentations (in-person and remote) will be collected ahead of time and shared from the room at the venue.
Presentation Submission Deadline: July 24, 2023, 11:59 p.m. CDT
- PC laptop, LCD projector, and a remote presentation advancer
- Windows hardware and software only
- Note: Mac hardware and software will not be used in the session room.
- PowerPoint or PDF only
- PowerPoint slide size: widescreen (16:9)
- Accepted presentation file format: PowerPoint, PDF
- File name format: PresentationTime_LastName
- Submission Link: https://app.box.com/f/b32dd63efbc84d7db7e8c359d2d5e4fd
- If your upload is successful, a Success! pop-up will appear on your screen. You will not receive a confirmation email.
- The upload link to Box is the only acceptable method of presentation submission. No presentations will be accepted via email or memory devices (e.g., USB drives).
- Reference these Box Instructions for more information about uploading files.
- In-person presenters will not use their own laptops to display slides.
- In-person presenters will advance their presentation slides using the remote presentation advancer provided in the oral session room.
- In-person presenters are required to wear a lapel microphone or use the podium microphone.
All presenters will have the opportunity to test and become familiar with the virtual platform before the Meeting. An email with detailed instructions to presenters will be sent out at a later time.
- Remote presentation slides and video files can be displayed and managed either from the session room or remotely.
- Log in to the abstract submission page of the meeting portal: https://www.hou.usra.edu/meeting_portal/abstract_submission/.
- Next to the listing of the abstract that was assigned to a poster, click on the e-poster link in the action column to go to the e-poster upload page.
- Accepted file format: PDF
- Maximum file size: 10 MB
- Use the browse button to locate the e-poster file on your computer, acknowledge the copyright statement, click the “Submit” button once, and wait for the confirmation screen.
- You will receive a confirmation email with a direct link to your e-poster.
- Return to the abstract submission page of the meeting portal and click on the e-poster link that appears next to the title of the abstract you submitted.
- Upload the revised version of your e-poster.
Registration fees are not being collected for this virtual meeting, but registration is required. Registration for in-person and virtual attendance will be available through August 3, 2023. Before the meeting, registered attendees will receive an email from Houston Meeting Info with virtual connection information.
Currently, Houston, Texas, has no COVID-19 mandates in place. Masks are optional but highly encouraged. Hand sanitizer and masks will be available at the meeting. Please check this website regularly for updates.
Reporting Positive Cases
Attendees who receive a positive test result during the meeting are not allowed to enter the meeting venue and must immediately quarantine. These attendees are encouraged to share positive test results with a USRA/LPI HR representative: [email protected]. For contact tracing purposes, a list of close contacts without masking will be requested. All information will be considered HR confidential.
- World Health Organization (WHO) COVID-19 Pandemic
- U.S. State Department Requirements for Air Travelers to the U.S.
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Center (CDC) Travel Guidelines
- CDC COVID Data Tracker
- CDC Coronavirus Self-Checker
For information regarding the content of the meeting:
Email: [email protected]
Please do not use individual emails.
For information regarding all other meeting details:
USRA/Lunar and Planetary Institute
Email: [email protected]