Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 on July 20 at LPI
June 11, 2019
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing and to celebrate this historic day, the Lunar and Planetary Institute (LPI) invites the public to experience Sky Fest — “Apollo 11: Looking Back to Move Forward” from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. CDT on Saturday, July 20.
This free public event features presentations from planetary scientists, hands-on educational activities, planetarium shows, a library open house, and more. All ages are invited as we learn more about our nearest neighbor in space – the Moon.
Three 15-minute presentations will be given by planetary scientists during the event. Times listed are Central Daylight Time.
1:30 p.m. - Dr. David Kring on the future of lunar exploration
2:15 p.m. - Dr. Danielle Wyrick on the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
3:15 p.m. - Dr. Walter Kiefer on Apollo 11
For those who are unable to attend, all presentations can be viewed live on the USRA Ustream channel.
Google Expedition Guided Tours
- 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. – Navigate and explore the Moon in virtual reality
Other all-day activities:
- Immersive planetarium shows – journey through the solar system (show times run approximately every 15 minutes)
- LPI library open house – Discover a wealth of resources available to the public
- Touch the Moon – Interact with lunar meteorites
- Hands-on STEM activities
- Storytelling of space exploration by Freeman Library staff
- Take your photo on the Moon
- Raffle prizes
Sky Fest will be held at the Lunar and Planetary Institute, 3600 Bay Area Blvd., Houston TX 77058. The building's entrance is on Middlebrook Drive.
For more information, visit:
LPI ‘s Apollo 50 resources
Sky Fest Event
Building location and directions
Connect With Us!
LPI Email Newsletters