LPI Scientist Elected to Prestigious Venus Science Committee
May 10, 2023
NASA has selected USRA Senior Scientist Dr. Patrick McGovern of the Lunar and Planetary Institute and five other scientists to serve on the newly established Venus Science Coordination (VeSCoor) group, a joint committee of NASA and ESA.
NASA received 19 outstanding nominations. Selections were based on a combination of individual expertise, subject matter knowledge, experience, current/past contributions, and overall diversity of the committee.
- David H. Grinspoon (Co-Chair), Planetary Science Institute, Tucson, AZ
- Tatiana Bocanegra-Bahamon, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
- Larry W. Esposito, Laboratory for Atmospheric & Space Physics (LASP), University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- Patrick J. McGovern, Lunar and Planetary Institute, USRA, Houston, TX
- Joseph G. O'Rourke, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
- Jason Rabinovitch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
The ESA appointments are posted at https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/vescoor-2022.
VeSCoor is a Venus missions forum for dialogue within the broader Venus scientific community, in support of the upcoming ESA and NASA missions to Venus. VeSCoor’s primary goal is to identify new, unanticipated scientific approaches and outcomes based on synergies among the missions to Venus and suggest studies to enhance overall scientific return.
NASA will be developing a publicly accessible website with VeSCoor meeting agendas and other materials.
For more information about the scientists selected for VeSCoor, see the official announcement.