MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 13 Jul 2024
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Text help
Starts with
Sounds like
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Dominion Range 08004
Basic information Name: Dominion Range 08004
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: DOM 08004
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2008
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 295 g
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 32(2)  (2009)  CO3
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 98  (2010)  CO3
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 47(1)  (2024)  CO3.05
Recommended:  CO3.05    [explanation]

This is 1 of 8 approved meteorites classified as CO3.05.   [show all]
Search for other: Carbonaceous chondrites, Carbonaceous chondrites (type 3), CM-CO clan chondrites, and CO chondrites
Comments: Approved 4 Sep 2009
Revised 26 Mar 2024: Reclassified subtype in AMN 47(1)
Writeup from AMN 32(2):
Sample Number DOM 08004
Pairing DOM 08004; DOM 08006
Newsletter 32,2
Location Dominion Range
Field Number 18503
Dimensions 7.5 x 5.5 x 4.0
Weight 294.5
Original Classification CO3 Chondrite
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington and Kathleen McBride
Dull black fusion crust, 1-2mm in thickness, covers 85% of the exteriors. The fusion crust is cracked on all the faces but the interior is not. The remaining 15% is a dark brown, fine grained matrix (006 has a 1 mm blue crystal in a vug on the Top-North end). The overall exterior of 006 has a pronounced aerodynamic shape with flow lines on the Bottom side. The interiors are a dark brown to black fine grained matrix with some mm sized white chondrules.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach
The sections consist of abundant small (up to 1 mm) chondrules, chondrule fragments and mineral grains in a dark matrix. Metal and sulfide occur within and rimming the chondrules. Olivine ranges in composition from Fa0-51 and pyroxenes range from Fs1-15. The meteorites are CO3 chondrites.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample DOM 08004
DOM 08004 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Sample Splits  DOM 08004 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 2.5x magnification in Plane-Polarized Light  DOM 08004 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 2.5x magnification in Reflected Light  DOM 08004 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 2.5x magnification in Cross-Polarized Light 
Data from:
  Table 2
  Line 4:
Mass (g):294.5
Weathering grade:B
Fayalite (mol%): 0-51
Ferrosilite (mol%): 1.0-15
Type spec location:JSC, SI
Main mass:JSC
Comments:Fracturing B
Plots: O isotopes:  
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode XI, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 28 Jul 2022)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 32(2) (2009), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 98, MAPS 45, 1530-1551 (2010)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:


     This is 1 of 44593 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 3805 unapproved names)

Direct link to this page