MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 18 Nov 2023
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Text help
Starts with
Sounds like
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Dominion Range 08001
Basic information Name: Dominion Range 08001
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: DOM 08001
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2008
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 1305 g
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 33(1)  (2010)  Eucrite-br
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 98  (2010)  Eucrite-breccia
Recommended:  Eucrite-br    [explanation]

This is 1 of 225 approved meteorites classified as Eucrite-br.   [show all]
Search for other: Achondrites, Eucrites, and HED achondrites
Comments: Approved 11 Feb 2010
Writeup from AMN 33(1):
Sample Number DOM 08001
Newsletter 33,1
Location Dominion Range
Field Number 19327
Dimensions 12.5 x 13.5 x 8.0
Weight 1305.400
Original Classification Eucrite (Brecciated)
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
Shiny black fusion crust covers 80% of the exterior surface. The remaining 20% is a light gray medium to fine-grained matrix with medium gray mottling and trace rust spots. This sample has several elongate, oriented voids on the top-west face that range in diameter from 1 to 14 mm. The interior is a light gray medium to fine-grained matrix with medium gray mottling and trace rust spots.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan
This meteorite is dominated by fine-grained (~200 micron average grain size) basaltic material which occurs as both the host and clasts within these meteorites. Occasional coarser-grained clasts, with grain sizes up to 1.5 mm, are observed. Mineral compositions are homogeneous with orthopyroxene (Fs61Wo2), with lamellae of augite (Fs25Wo45), and plagioclase (An86Or0.8). The Fe/Mn ratio of the pyroxene is ~34. The meteorite is a brecciated eucrite.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample DOM 08001
DOM08001,0 B.jpg  DOM08001,0 E.jpg  DOM08001,0 N.jpg  DOM08001,0 postchip.jpg 
DOM08001,0 S.jpg  DOM08001,0 T.jpg  DOM08001,0 W.jpg  DOM08001,0,4 reconstruction.jpg 
DOM08001,0,4.jpg  DOM08001,1,3,4,5.jpg  DOM08001_2.5PPL_EUC.jpg  DOM08001_2.5XN_EUC.jpg 
Data from:
  Table 2
  Line 1:
Mass (g):1305.4
Weathering grade:A/B
Fayalite (mol%):
Ferrosilite (mol%):25-6
Type spec location:JSC, SI
Main mass:JSC
Comments:Fracturing A
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode XI, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 28 Jul 2022)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 33(1) (2010), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 98, MAPS 45, 1530-1551 (2010)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:


     This is 1 of 44248 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 3802 unapproved names)

Direct link to this page