header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 14 Sep 2019
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Allan Hills 09004
Basic information Name: Allan Hills 09004
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: ALH 09004
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2009
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 222 g
Classification
  history:
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 33(2)  (2010)  Howardite
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 99  (2011)  Howardite
Recommended:  Howardite    [explanation]

This is 1 of 372 approved meteorites classified as Howardite.   [show all]
Search for other: Achondrites, HED achondrites, and Howardites
Comments: Approved 12 Sep 2010
Revised 15 Feb 2011: Officially renamed from 090004 to 09004
Writeuphelp
Writeup from AMN 33(2):
Sample Number ALH 090004
Newsletter 33,2
Location Allan Hills
Field Number 18480
Dimensions 7.5 x 5.5 x 3.5
Weight 221.71
Original Classification Howardite
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
90% of the exterior of this sample is covered with a shiny black fusion crust which exhibits flow lines on the bottom surface. The remaining 10% is broken surface consisting of gray fine-grained matrix with <1 mm white inclusions. The interior of this sample is a gray fine-grained matrix with <1 mm white inclusions.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan and Linda Welzenbach
The heavily altered section shows a very dense, fine-grained groundmass with comminuted pyroxene and plagioclase grains (up to 0.5 mm). Fine- to coarse-grained basaltic clasts range up to 1 mm. One diogenitic clast was found with a long dimension of 2mm. A few dark clasts are present (some of which are chondritic but not all of which appear to be carbonaceous) and range in size up to 0.5 mm. Most of the pyroxene is orthopyroxene with compositions ranging from Fs30-64Wo5-40 (most Fs20-30). Few feldspars were found, those that were analyzed had a composition of An86-92Or0.2-0.4. The meteorite is a howardite.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample ALH 090004
Lab Photo of Sample ALH 090004 Showing Splits  Lab Photo of Sample ALH 090004 Showing Bottom View  Lab Photo of Sample ALH 090004 Showing Top View  Lab Photo of Sample ALH 090004 Showing Top East View 
Lab Photo of Sample ALH 090004 Showing Top North View  Lab Photo of Sample ALH 090004 Showing Top South View  Lab Photo of Sample ALH 090004 Showing Top West View  Thin Section Photo of Sample ALH 090004 in Plane-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification 
Thin Section Photo of Sample ALH 090004 in Cross-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample ALH 090004 in Plane-Polarized Light with 2.5x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample ALH 090004 in Cross-Polarized Light with 2.5x Magnification 

Writeup from AMN 34(1):
Numbering scheme for ALH 09 meteorites

In the Fall 2010 newsletter we announced a new howardite, ALH 090004. The Meteorite Nomenclature Committee has asked us to remove the 6th digit in the ALH 09 series (a total of eleven meteorites from 2009-2010 ANSMET season). Therefore, the new number of this sample is ALH 09004, and all future announcements for ALH samples from 09 series will be 09001 to 09011.
Data from:
  MB99
  Table 0
  Line 0:
Date:2009
Mass (g):221.7
Class:Howardite
Weathering grade:B/C
Ferrosilite (mol%):30-64
Classifier:SI
Type spec mass (g):221.7
Type spec location:JSC
Main mass:JSC
Finder:ANSMET
Institutions
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode KT, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 3 Sep 2013)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Catalogs:
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 33(2) (2010), JSC, Houston
Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 34(1) (2011), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 99, April 2012, MAPS 47, E1-E52 (2012) [published online only]
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Geography:

Antarctica
Coordinates:Unknown.

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 39173 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 5051 unapproved names)
Synonymshelp: Allan Hills 090004 (Renamed in AMN 34(1))

Direct link to this page