MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 26 Feb 2024
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Text help
Starts with
Sounds like
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Miller Range 090070
Basic information Name: Miller Range 090070
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: MIL 090070
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2009
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 137.5 g
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 33(2)  (2010)  Lunar-anorthositic breccia
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 99  (2011)  Lunar (anorth)
Recommended:  Lunar (anorth)    [explanation]

This is 1 of 83 approved meteorites classified as Lunar (anorth).   [show all]
Search for other: Lunar meteorites
Comments: Field number: 20890
Approved 12 Sep 2010
Writeup from AMN 33(2):
Sample Number MIL 090070
Pairing MIL090070; MIL090075
Newsletter 33,2
Location Miller Range
Field Number 20890
Dimensions 7.0 x5.5 x 3.5
Weight 137.46
Original Classification Lunar-Anorth. Breccia
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
40% of the exterior of this sample is covered with a shiny olive green fusion crust. The remaining 60% is broken surface which consists of dark green to gray fine-grained matrix with elongate and equant pale green clasts that range in size from 2-7 mm. White clasts ranging in size from 1-2 mm are present within the pale green clasts. Some evaporite material is encrusted on the broken surface. The interior of this sample consists of a dark green, fine-grained matrix with 3-5 mm gray clasts throughout.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach
The sections consist of an extremely fine-grained matrix with isolated mineral grains and fine- to coarse-grained basaltic clasts in all size ranges up to 2 mm. Microprobe analyses reveal olivine of Fa37-42, pyroxene in a wide range of compositions from pigeonite Fs20-43Wo6-19 to augite of Fs9Wo43 with intermediate and more FeO-rich compositions, and plagioclase of An89-98. The Fe/Mn ratio of the pyroxene averages ~59. These meteorites were found 10 cm apart in the field and are similar enough that only one description is necessary. They are likely paired. The meteorite(s) is/are a basalt-bearing anorthositic regolith breccia.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample MIL 090070
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090070  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090070 Showing Bottom North View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090070 Showing View  of Chips  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090070 Showing Top View 
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090070 Showing Top East View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090070 Showing Top North View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090070 Showing Top South View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090070 Showing Top West View 
Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090070 in Plane-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090070 in Cross-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification 
Data from:
  Table 0
  Line 0:
Mass (g):137.5
Class:Lunar (anorth)
Weathering grade:A
Fayalite (mol%):37-42
Ferrosilite (mol%):20-38
Type spec mass (g):137.5
Type spec location:JSC
Main mass:JSC
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode XI, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 28 Jul 2022)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 33(2) (2010), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 99, April 2012, MAPS 47, E1-E52 (2012) [published online only]
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:

     Recommended::   (83° 15' 5"S, 155° 53' 6"E)

     This is 1 of 44274 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 3802 unapproved names)
Proximity search:
Find nearby meteorites: enter search radius (km):

Direct link to this page