header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 13 Jun 2024
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Ramlat Fasad 546
Basic information Name: Ramlat Fasad 546
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: RF 546
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2017
Country: Oman
Mass:help 32.6 g
Classification
  history:
Recommended:  EL3    [explanation]

This is 1 of 28 approved meteorites classified as EL3.   [show all]
Search for other: EL chondrites, Enstatite chondrites, Enstatite chondrites (type 3), and Enstatite-rich meteorites
Comments: Approved 28 May 2024
Writeuphelp
Writeup from MB 113:

Ramlat Fasad 546 (RF 546)        19°06.983’N, 53°34.035’E

Zufar, Oman

Find: 2017 Feb 09

Classification: Enstatite chondrite (EL3)

History: Found during a search for meteorites.

Physical characteristics: Single stone of 32.3 g, brown, wind-ablated surface without fusion crust, with cracks. Cut surface shows abundant bright metal/sulfide grains on ~40% of the surface, while the other 60% are dark brown without metallic inclusions, with a sharp boundary between the two areas.

Petrography: (J. Pape, S. Snout, E. Gnos, B. Hofmann) Distinct well-delineated chondrules, apparent mean diameter 0.73±0.39 mm (n=64), largest chondrule has diameter of 3.0 mm. Silicates are dominated by enstatite, with minor diopside. Metal grains up to 150 μm are mostly intergrown with troilite and contain inclusions of troilite-alabandite-niningerite solid solution up to 50 μm in size. Light blue transparent glass is common in chondrules and matrix. No feldspar was observed. Graphite, up to 40 μm is a common phase, mostly at the rims of kamacite. The meteorite contains numerous inclusions of platy diamond-graphite aggregates, up to 250 × 45 μm in size. Well-crystallized graphite associated with kamacite and platy carbon aggregates are texturally not related. Transmission electron microscopy shows that diamonds are polycrystalline with grain sizes ranging from ~50-500 nm. Numerous inclusions of Fe,Ni-metal, Fe,Ni-sulfides, Fe,Ni-phosphides, and chromite are present in diamond. About 60% of the meteorite shows almost complete alteration of metal and troilite to iron hydroxides, the other 40% show only minor oxidation of the two phases, there is a sharp boundary between the two differently altered parts. The meteorite is unshocked (S1).

Geochemistry: (J. Pape, B.Hofmann): Enstatite Fs0.5±0.2Wo1.2±0.1 (n=18); diopside Wo48.2±0.6Fs0.5±0.2 (n=11); bluish glass in chondrules (wt%) SiO2 71.3±0.8 Al2O3 19.7±0.9 Na2O 5.8±1.5 CaO 1.6±0.2 K2O 1.2±0.04 MgO 1.1±0.1 MnO <0.01 FeO 0.4±0.2 TiO2 0.4±0.2 Cr2O3 0.01±0.02 (n=9); Cr-bearing troilite Cr=2.3-2.5 (wt%), n=2; kamacite Ni=8.2±0.5, Si=0.81±0.06, n=7; Fe-Mn-Mg-sulfide solid solutions (at%) FeS 33-41, MnS 22-31, MgS 29-34 (n=5).

Classification: Unequilibrated enstatite chondrite (EL3), type L based on chondrules size, Si content in kamacite and Fe-Mn-Mg-sulfide composition, petrographic type 3 based on abundant presence of glass. Unshocked (S1), weathering ranges from low to strong in different parts of the meteorite.

Specimens: All at NMBE.

Data from:
  MB113
  Table 0
  Line 0:
State/Prov/County:Zufar
Origin or pseudonym:Desert plain
Date:2017 Feb 09
Latitude:19°06.983'N
Longitude:53°34.035'E
Mass (g):32.561
Pieces:1
Class:EL3
Shock stage:S1
Ferrosilite (mol%):0.5±0.2 (n=18)
Wollastonite (mol%):1.2±0.1 (n=18)
Magnetic suscept.:4.81
Classifier:J. Pape, S. Snout, E. Gnos, B. Hofmann, NMBE
Type spec mass (g):32.561
Type spec location:NMBE
Main mass:NMBE
Finder:Martin Bucher, Urs Eggenberger, Edwin Gnos, Beda Hofmann, Ioannis Kouvatsis, Malgorzata Sliz, A. Al-Hashemi
Comments:Field number 1702_0327; submitted by Beda Hofmann
Institutions
   and collections
NMBE: Natural History Museum Bern Bernastrasse 15 CH-3005 Bern Switzerland, Switzerland; Website (institutional address; updated 2 Mar 2012)
Catalogs:
References: Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 113, in preparation (2024)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Photos:
CreditPhotos
Public domain photographs:
Beda Hofmann               
Geography:

Oman
Coordinates:
     Recommended::   (19° 6' 59"N, 53° 34' 2"E)

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 2531 approved meteorites from Zufar, Oman (plus 27 unapproved names)
     This is 1 of 4404 approved meteorites from Oman (plus 434 unapproved names)
Proximity search:
Find nearby meteorites: enter search radius (km):

Direct link to this page