header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 21 Feb 2021
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Miller Range 090034
Basic information Name: Miller Range 090034
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: MIL 090034
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2009
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 195.6 g
Classification
  history:
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 33(2)  (2010)  Lunar-anorthositic breccia
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 99  (2011)  Lunar (anorth)
Recommended:  Lunar (anorth)    [explanation]

This is 1 of 73 approved meteorites classified as Lunar (anorth).   [show all]
Search for other: Lunar meteorites
Comments: Field number: 20315
Approved 12 Sep 2010
Writeuphelp
Writeup from AMN 33(2):
Sample Number MIL 090034
Newsletter 33,2
Location Miller Range
Field Number 20315
Dimensions 9.0 x 5.0 x 4.5
Weight 195.56
Original Classification Lunar-Anorth. Breccia
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
35% of the exterior of this sample is covered with a dull olive green fusion crust. The remaining 65% is broken surface which consists of gray to olive green fine-grained matrix with fine cracks throughout. Features visible in the matrix include four white clasts that range in size from 2-5 mm, several 1-2 mm white clasts, and two 15-20 mm orangish-tan areas. The interior of this sample consists of a gray, fine-grained matrix with 1-2 mm white clasts throughout.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach
The section consists of an extremely fine-grained matrix with isolated, large (up to mm-sized) mineral grains and fine- to coarse-grained anorthosite and basaltic clasts in all size ranges up to 3 mm. Microprobe analyses reveal olivine of Fa36-43, pyroxene in a wide range of compositions from pigeonite Fs23-41Wo4-6 with intermediate and more FeO-rich compositions, and plagioclase of An97. The Fe/Mn ratio of the pyroxene averages ~58. The meteorite is a basalt-bearing anorthositic regolith breccia.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample MIL 090034
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing View  of Chips  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing View  of Chips  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing View  of Chips  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing Bottom North View 
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing Top View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing Top East View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing Top North View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing Top South View 
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090034 Showing Top West View  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090034 in Plane-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090034 in Cross-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification 
Data from:
  MB99
  Table 0
  Line 0:
Date:2009
Mass (g):195.6
Class:Lunar (anorth)
Weathering grade:A
Fayalite (mol%):36-41
Ferrosilite (mol%):18-41
Classifier:SI
Type spec mass (g):195.6
Type spec location:JSC
Main mass:JSC
Finder:ANSMET
Institutions
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode KT, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 3 Sep 2013)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Catalogs:
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 33(2) (2010), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 99, April 2012, MAPS 47, E1-E52 (2012) [published online only]
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Geography:

Antarctica
Coordinates:
     Recommended::   (83° 22' 25"S, 156° 20' 10"E)

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 40719 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 4494 unapproved names)
Proximity search:
Find nearby meteorites: enter search radius (km):

Direct link to this page