header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 27 Nov 2022
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Northwest Africa 14603
Basic information Name: Northwest Africa 14603
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: NWA 14603
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2011
Country: Morocco
Mass:help 52.6 g
Classification
  history:
Recommended:  LL5    [explanation]

This is 1 of 3187 approved meteorites (plus 1 unapproved name) classified as LL5.   [show all]
Search for other: LL chondrites, LL chondrites (type 4-7), Ordinary chondrites, and Ordinary chondrites (type 4-7)
Comments: Approved 15 Jan 2022
Writeuphelp
Writeup from MB 111:

Northwest Africa 14603 (NWA 14603)

Morocco

Purchased: 2011

Classification: Ordinary chondrite (LL5)

History: The meteorite was purchased in Tucson, Arizona in 2011 by D. Gregory from A. Aaronson. Specimen was investigated at UWO under the name DG-08-2011.

Physical characteristics: This specimen is light brownish-grey in color, with only a partial dark-brown fusion crust on one side making up ~20% of the meteorite’s surface. The remaining 80% of the surface shows pitted broken faces and is much lighter grey. Physical properties (P. Cassidy, UWO): Grain density measured by He-pycnometry on a 34.9 g piece is 3.337±0.021 g/cm3. Magnetic susceptibility on the same piece is log χ (× 10-9 m3/kg) = 4.27.

Petrography: The cut face shows a light-grey interior with abundant intact chondrules. Patchy, local FeO oxidation is present. In thin sections, large, intact chondrules of POP, PO, BO, RP types are visible, ranging up to 3 mm diameter. Several chondrules are armoured by troilite or in some cases Ni-Fe metal. Matrix is recrystallized, but chondrules can be readily defined, with most having dark fine grained rims. Olivine and pyroxene grains typically show sharp to undulatory extinction. Micro-XRD (R. Flemming, UWO) of the polished thin section shows significant diffraction streaks for olivine and pyroxene grains in 2D XRD, which indicates low to moderate shock. A small amount of Ni-Fe metal is visible, and has locally undergone some oxidation to goethite as identified by microXRD.

Geochemistry: EPMA: olivine Fa28.01±0.31; Ca-poor pyroxene Fs22.00±0.25Wo0.78±0.27.

Classification: Ordinary chondrite: LL5 (S2) W1

Specimens: Type specimen of 17.6 g along with two polished thin sections on deposit at UWO. Main mass: D. Gregory.

Data from:
  MB111
  Table 0
  Line 0:
Place of purchase:Tucson, Arizona
Date:P 2011
Mass (g):52.55
Pieces:1
Class:LL5
Shock stage:S2
Weathering grade:W1
Fayalite (mol%):28.01±0.31 (n=18)
Ferrosilite (mol%):22.00±0.25 (n=8)
Wollastonite (mol%):0.78±0.27 (n=8)
Magnetic suscept.:4.27
Classifier:G. Osinski, A. Ozaruk, P. McCausland, UWO
Type spec mass (g):17.6
Type spec location:UWO
Main mass:Gregory
Comments:Submitted by P. McCausland
Institutions
   and collections
UWO: University of Western Ontario, Department of Earth Sciences, BGS 1026, 1151 Richmond St. N, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5B7, Canada (institutional address; updated 18 Jul 2015)
Aaronson: Sahara Overland Ltd., Harhora, Temara, 12000, Morocco (private address; updated 3 Jan 2010)
Catalogs:
References: Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 111, in preparation (2022)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Geography:

Morocco
Coordinates:Unknown.

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 1903 approved meteorites from Morocco (plus 27 unapproved names) (plus 1 impact crater)

Direct link to this page