MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 1 Oct 2022
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Text help
Starts with
Sounds like
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Allan Hills A78134
Basic information Name: Allan Hills A78134
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: ALHA78134
This meteorite may also be called Allan Hills 78134 (ALH 78134) in publications.

Observed fall: No
Year found: 1978
Country: Antarctica [Collected jointly by ANSMET (US) and NIPR (Japan)]
Mass:help 458 g
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 3(2)  (1980)  H4
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 76  (1994)  H4
NHM Catalogue:  5th Edition  (2000)  H4
NIPR Catalogue:  2000 Edition  (2000)  H4
MetBase:  v. 7.1  (2006)  H4
Recommended:  H4    [explanation]

This is 1 of 6375 approved meteorites (plus 2 unapproved names) classified as H4.   [show all]
Search for other: H chondrites, H chondrites (type 4-7), Ordinary chondrites, and Ordinary chondrites (type 4-7)
Writeup from AMN 3(2):
This text was reprinted from AMN 3(2) in AMN 4(1). In some cases, it may be an updated version from the original.

Sample No.: ALHA78134

Location: Allan Hills

Field No.: 403

Weight (gms): 458.3

Meteorite Type: H4 Chondrite


Physical Description:

Snow and ice remained on the sample (7.0 x 5.0 x 7.5 cm.) when it was removed from cold storage. Dull black fusion crust covers nearly 40% of the sample. The remaining surfaces are weathered and stained by iron oxidation. On the S surface the inclusions in the meteorite have a higher relief than the surrounding matrix, probably as a result of preferential weathering. Inclusions (chondrules and lithic fragments) are visible on the other fracture surfaces but have not experienced any preferential weathering. In several areas the weathered material appears granular. Several large fractures penetrate the sample. When the sample was divided during processing, 60% of the interior was stained reddish-brown. The remaining 40% is light gray and contains many clasts, (1 mm or less). Oxidation halos are also present in this material.


Petrographic Description: Brian Mason

Chondrules are numerous and well developed, ranging from 0.3-1.2 mm across; a variety of types is present, the commonest being granular olivine and olivine-pyroxene, and radiating fibrous pyroxene. The chondrules are set in a fine-grained aggregate of olivine and pyroxene, with minor nickel-iron and troilite (nickel-iron in greater amounts than troilite). Some of the pyroxene is polysynthetically twinned clinobronzite. The meteorite is extensively weathered, with veinlets and patches of red-brown limonite throughout the section. Microprobe analyses show olivine of essentially uniform composition (Fa18) and somewhat variable pyroxene (Fs 15-Fs20, mean Fs17). The meteorite is classified as an H4 chondrite.

Data from:
  Table 2
  Line 357:
Origin or pseudonym:Main icefield
Mass (g):458.3
Weathering grade:B/C
Fayalite (mol%):18
Ferrosilite (mol%):15-20
Search for specimens in the Smithsonian Institution collection (U.S.):   
    Require SI photo
Search for this meteorite in the NIPR database (Japan):   
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 3(2) (1980), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 76, Meteoritics 29, 100-143 (1994)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:

     Catalogue of Meteorites:   (76° 43'S, 159° 40'E)
     Recommended::   (76° 43'S, 159° 40'E)

     This is 1 of 43500 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 3802 unapproved names)
Proximity search:
Find nearby meteorites: enter search radius (km):

Direct link to this page