MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 16 Jan 2023
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Text help
Starts with
Sounds like
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Allan Hills A77277
Basic information Name: Allan Hills A77277
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: ALHA77277
This meteorite may also be called Allan Hills 77277 (ALH 77277) in publications.

Observed fall: No
Year found: 1977 or 1978
Country: Antarctica [Collected jointly by ANSMET (US) and NIPR (Japan)]
Mass:help 142.7 g
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 1(3)  (1978)  L6
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 76  (1994)  L6
NHM Catalogue:  5th Edition  (2000)  L6
MetBase:  v. 7.1  (2006)  L6
Recommended:  L6    [explanation]

This is 1 of 12206 approved meteorites (plus 7 unapproved names) classified as L6.   [show all]
Search for other: L chondrites, L chondrites (type 4-7), Ordinary chondrites, and Ordinary chondrites (type 4-7)
Writeup from AMN 1(3):
This text was reprinted from AMN 1(3) in AMN 4(1). In some cases, it may be an updated version from the original.

Sample No.: ALHA77277

Location: Allan Hills

Field No.: B78010501

Weight (gms): 142.7

Meteorite Type: L6 Chondrite


Physical Description:

Sample is rounded and severely weathered over approximately 75% of the exterior surface. No fusion crust was present. The exterior of the stone had nodules which easily fell off the bulk meteorite. The remaining 25% of the exterior surface appears fresh, light gray and has a granular texture. The specimen has many rounded white clasts. Approximate size: 5.5x4.5x3.0 cm.


Petrographic Description: Brian Mason

This meteorite resembles ALHA77273 closely, in structure, mineralogy, and composition of the olivine, orthopyroxene, and plagioclase. Weathering is not so pronounced, however, being limited to local limonitic staining around grains of nickel-iron.

Data from:
  Table 2
  Line 227:
Origin or pseudonym:Main icefield
Mass (g):142.7
Weathering grade:A/B
Fayalite (mol%):24
Ferrosilite (mol%):20
Search for specimens in the Smithsonian Institution collection (U.S.):   
    Require SI photo
Search for this meteorite in the NIPR database (Japan):   
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 1(3) (1978), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 76, Meteoritics 29, 100-143 (1994)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:

     Catalogue of Meteorites:   (76° 43'S, 159° 40'E)
     Recommended::   (76° 43'S, 159° 40'E)

     This is 1 of 43700 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 3802 unapproved names)
Proximity search:
Find nearby meteorites: enter search radius (km):

Direct link to this page