header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 16 Nov 2019
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Dominion Range 08011
Basic information Name: Dominion Range 08011
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: DOM 08011
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2008
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 3.4 g
Classification
  history:
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 32(2)  (2009)  Eucrite (brecciated)
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 98  (2010)  Eucrite
Recommended:  Eucrite-br    [explanation]

This is 1 of 167 approved meteorites classified as Eucrite-br.   [show all]
Search for other: Achondrites, Eucrites, and HED achondrites
Comments: Approved 4 Sep 2009
Writeuphelp
Writeup from AMN 32(2):
Sample Number DOM 08011
Pairing
Newsletter 32,2
Location Dominion Range
Field Number 18494
Dimensions 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.0
Weight 3.37
Original Classification Eucrite (Brecciated)
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
Shiny black fusion crust covers 60% of the exterior surface. The remaining 40% is a light to medium gray, fine grained matrix. The interior is a fine grained, light gray matrix.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach
This meteorite is dominated by fine-grained (~200 micron average grain size) basaltic material which occurs as both the host and clasts. Mineral compositions are homogeneous with orthopyroxene (Fs63Wo2), with lamellae of augite (Fs28Wo43), and plagioclase (An85Or1). The Fe/Mn ratio of the pyroxene is ~30. The meteorite is a monomict, brecciated eucrite.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample DOM 08011
DOM 08011 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Sample Splits  DOM 08011 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Bottom View  DOM 08011 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing East View  DOM 08011 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing North View 
DOM 08011 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing South View  DOM 08011 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Top View  DOM 08011 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing West View  DOM 08011 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Plane-Polarized Light 
DOM 08011 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Plane-Polarized Light  DOM 08011 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Cross-Polarized Light 
Data from:
  MB98
  Table 2
  Line 11:
Mass (g):3.4
Class:Eucrite
Weathering grade:A/B
Fayalite (mol%):
Ferrosilite (mol%):28-63
Classifier:SI
Type spec location:JSC, SI
Main mass:JSC
Comments:Fracturing A
Institutions
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode KT, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 3 Sep 2013)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Catalogs:
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 32(2) (2009), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 98, MAPS 45, 1530-1551 (2010)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Geography:

Antarctica
Coordinates:Unknown.

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 39173 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 5051 unapproved names)

Direct link to this page