header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 18 Jun 2019
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Miller Range 090103
Basic information Name: Miller Range 090103
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: MIL 090103
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2009
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 52.6 g
Classification
  history:
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 33(2)  (2010)  CK5-6
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 99  (2011)  CK5-6
Recommended:  CK5/6    [explanation]

This is 1 of 6 approved meteorites classified as CK5/6.   [show all]
Search for other: Carbonaceous chondrites, Carbonaceous chondrites (equilibrated), CK chondrites, CK chondrites (type 4-6), and CV-CK clan chondrites
Comments: Field number: 20757
Approved 12 Sep 2010
Writeuphelp
Writeup from AMN 33(2):
Sample Number MIL 090103
Newsletter 33,2
Location Miller Range
Field Number 20757
Dimensions 4.0 x 3.5 x 2.5
Weight 52.58
Original Classification CK5-6 Chondrite
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
3% of the exterior of this sample is covered with a shiny dark brown fusion crust. The remaining 97% is broken surface consisting of dark gray fine-grained matrix with four 1-2 mm gray clasts on the one surface. The interior of this sample is a medium gray fine-grained matrix.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach
The section consists of poorly-defined chondrules (up to 1 mm) in a matrix of finer-grained silicates, sulfides and abundant magnetite. Silicates are homogeneous. Olivine is Fa32 and orthopyroxene is Fs8-10. The meteorite is a CK5-6 chondrite.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample MIL 090103
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090103 Showing Bottom View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090103 Showing Top View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090103 Showing Top East View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090103 Showing Top North View 
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090103 Showing Top South View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090103 Showing Top West View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090103 Showing Splits  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090103 in Plane-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification 
Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090103 in Cross-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090103 in Plane-Polarized Light with 2.5x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090103 in Cross-Polarized Light with 2.5x Magnification 
Data from:
  MB99
  Table 0
  Line 0:
Date:2009
Mass (g):52.6
Class:CK5-6
Weathering grade:B
Fayalite (mol%):32
Ferrosilite (mol%):8-10
Classifier:SI
Type spec mass (g):52.6
Type spec location:JSC
Main mass:JSC
Finder:ANSMET
Institutions
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode KT, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 3 Sep 2013)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Catalogs:
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 33(2) (2010), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 99, April 2012, MAPS 47, E1-E52 (2012) [published online only]
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Geography:

Antarctica
Coordinates:
     Recommended::   (83° 21' 4"S, 156° 18' 36"E)

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 38937 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 5051 unapproved names)
Proximity search:
Find nearby meteorites: enter search radius (km):

Direct link to this page