header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 18 Aug 2019
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Miller Range 090001
Basic information Name: Miller Range 090001
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: MIL 090001
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2009
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 6.29 kg
Classification
  history:
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 33(2)  (2010)  CV3
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 99  (2011)  CV3
Recommended:  CR2    [explanation]

This is 1 of 163 approved meteorites classified as CR2.   [show all]
Search for other: Carbonaceous chondrites, Carbonaceous chondrites (type 2), and CR chondrites
Comments: Field number: 20895
Approved 12 Sep 2010
Revised 25 Feb 2012: Reclassified in AMN 35(1)
Writeuphelp
Writeup from AMN 33(2):
Sample Number MIL 090001
Newsletter 33,2
Location Miller Range
Field Number 20895
Dimensions 19.0 x 16.0 x 12.5
Weight 6290
Original Classification CV3 Chondrite
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
40% of the exterior of this sample is covered with a dull black fusion crust. The remaining 60% is a broken surface which consists of dark brown fine-grained matrix with scattered 1-3 mm tan to orangish tan chondrules. The interior is a dark brown fine-grained matrix with scattered 1-3 mm tan to orangish tan chondrules.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach
This section exhibits large chondrules (up to 3 mm) and CAIs in a brownish-green matrix that appears to be extensively aqueously altered. Alteration extends into the chondrules. Olivines range from Fa2-24 and low-Ca pyroxene is Fs1-12. The meteorite is an unequilibrated carbonaceous chondrite, probably a reduced CV3.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample MIL 090001
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090001 Showing Bottom View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090001 Showing View  of Chips  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090001 Showing Top View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090001 Showing Top East View 
Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090001 Showing Top North View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090001 Showing Top South View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090001 Showing Top West View  Lab Photo of Sample MIL 090001 Showing Splits 
Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090001 in Plane-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090001 in Plane-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090001 in Cross-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification  Thin Section Photo of Sample MIL 090001 in Cross-Polarized Light with 1.25x Magnification 

Writeup from AMN 35(1):

Classification Update (AMN 35,1)

New analyses of MIL 090001 indicate that it is a CR2 chondrite. Oxygen isotope analysis (Keller et al., 2012 LPSC abstract; 2065; Alexander et al. 2012 LPSC abstract 2799) and bulk rock analysis (Isa et al. 2012 LPSC abstract; 2809) both indicate overlap with CR chondrites (lower Zn, Sc and Sm than CV).

Data from:
  MB99
  Table 0
  Line 0:
Date:2009
Mass (g):6290
Class:CV3
Weathering grade:B
Fayalite (mol%):2-24
Ferrosilite (mol%):1-12
Classifier:SI
Type spec mass (g):6290
Type spec location:JSC
Main mass:JSC
Finder:ANSMET
Institutions
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode KT, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 3 Sep 2013)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Catalogs:
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 33(2) (2010), JSC, Houston
Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 35(1) (2012), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 99, April 2012, MAPS 47, E1-E52 (2012) [published online only]
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Geography:

Antarctica
Coordinates:
     Recommended::   (83° 23' 3"S, 156° 18' 11"E)

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 39173 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 5051 unapproved names)
Proximity search:
Find nearby meteorites: enter search radius (km):

Direct link to this page