header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 14 Sep 2019
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Include past classifications in search
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Dominion Range 08014
Basic information Name: Dominion Range 08014
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: DOM 08014
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2008
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 19.6 g
Classification
  history:
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 32(2)  (2009)  Eucrite (brecciated)
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 98  (2010)  Eucrite
Recommended:  Eucrite-br    [explanation]

This is 1 of 164 approved meteorites classified as Eucrite-br.   [show all]
Search for other: Achondrites, Eucrites, and HED achondrites
Comments: Approved 4 Sep 2009
Writeuphelp
Writeup from AMN 32(2):
Sample Number DOM 08014
Pairing
Newsletter 32,2
Location Dominion Range
Field Number 18247
Dimensions 3.5 x 2.5 x 2.0
Weight 19.61
Original Classification Eucrite (Brecciated)
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
Shiny black fusion crust with several oriented holes covers 90% of the exterior surface. The remaining 10% is a light to medium gray, medium grained matrix. The interior is a light to medium gray, medium-grained matrix with a trace of orange staining.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach
This meteorite is dominated by fine-grained basaltic material which occurs as both the host and clasts within this meteorite. Occasional coarser-grained clasts, with grain sizes up to 1 mm, are observed. Mineral compositions are homogeneous with orthopyroxene (Fs63Wo2), with lamellae of augite (Fs27Wo42), and plagioclase (An89Or1). The Fe/Mn ratio of the pyroxene is ~29. The meteorite is a brecciated eucrite.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample DOM 08014
DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Post Chip  DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Bottom View  DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing East View  DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing North View 
DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing South View  DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Top View  DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing West View  DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Post Chip 
DOM 08014 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Sample Splits  DOM 08014 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Plane-Polarized Light  DOM 08014 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Cross-Polarized Light  DOM 08014 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Plane-Polarized Light 
DOM 08014 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Cross-Polarized Light 
Data from:
  MB98
  Table 2
  Line 14:
Mass (g):19.6
Class:Eucrite
Weathering grade:A/B
Fayalite (mol%):
Ferrosilite (mol%):27-63
Classifier:SI
Type spec location:JSC, SI
Main mass:JSC
Comments:Fracturing A
Institutions
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode KT, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 3 Sep 2013)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Catalogs:
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 32(2) (2009), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 98, MAPS 45, 1530-1551 (2010)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Geography:

Antarctica
Coordinates:Unknown.

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 39173 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 5051 unapproved names)

Direct link to this page