MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 29 Jan 2023
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Text help
Starts with
Sounds like
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Include past classifications in search
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Allan Hills A77148
Basic information Name: Allan Hills A77148
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: ALHA77148
This meteorite may also be called Allan Hills 77148 (ALH 77148) in publications.

Observed fall: No
Year found: 1977
Country: Antarctica [Collected jointly by ANSMET (US) and NIPR (Japan)]
Mass:help 13.1 g
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 1(2)  (1978)  H6
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 76  (1994)  H6
NHM Catalogue:  5th Edition  (2000)  H6
NIPR Catalogue:  2000 Edition  (2000)  H6
MetBase:  v. 7.1  (2006)  H6
Recommended:  H6    [explanation]

This is 1 of 6438 approved meteorites (plus 5 unapproved names) classified as H6.   [show all]
Search for other: H chondrites, H chondrites (type 4-7), Ordinary chondrites, and Ordinary chondrites (type 4-7)
Writeup from AMN 4(1):

Sample No.: ALHA77148

Location: Allan Hills

Field No.: 77123107

Weight (gms): 13.10

Meteorite Type: H6 Chondrite


Physical Description:

75% of the sample is covered by a thin, patchy fusion crust. A reddish-brown weathering rind covers the remaining ~25% of the meteorite's surface. Rounded inclusions are visible on the fractured surface. Many large and small fissures are present. These fissures probably attributed to the severely weathered condition of the meteorite. This is not a complete specimen. Its maximum dimension is ~2.5 cm. From the field photographs it was determined that the B surface was in contact with the ice.


Petrographic Description: Brian Mason

Chondritic structure not prominent, the rather sparse chondrules merging with the granular groundmass, which consists of olivine, pyroxene, nickel-iron, and troilite. The section is extensively stained with yellow-brown limonitic material, which is also present as small patches and veinlets. Fusion crust is present on one edge. Microprobe analyses show olivine (Fa18) and orthopyroxene (Fs16) of uniform composition; medium grained sodic plagioclase was also seen.

Data from:
  Table 2
  Line 116:
Origin or pseudonym:Main icefield
Mass (g):13.1
Weathering grade:C
Fayalite (mol%):18
Ferrosilite (mol%):16
Comments:77144 pairing group
Search for specimens in the Smithsonian Institution collection (U.S.):   
    Require SI photo
Search for this meteorite in the NIPR database (Japan):   
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 4(1) (1981), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 76, Meteoritics 29, 100-143 (1994)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:

     Catalogue of Meteorites:   (76° 43'S, 159° 40'E)
     Recommended::   (76° 43'S, 159° 40'E)

     This is 1 of 43700 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 3802 unapproved names)
Proximity search:
Find nearby meteorites: enter search radius (km):

Direct link to this page