header
  MetSoc Home            Publications            Contacts  
Search the Meteoritical Bulletin Database
Last update: 10 Jul 2019
Search for: Search type: Search limits: Display: Publication:
Names
Text help
Places
Classes
Years
Contains
Starts with
Exact
Sounds like
NonAntarctic
Falls  Non-NWAs
What's new
  in the last:
Limit to approved meteorite names
Search text:  
Dominion Range 08012
Basic information Name: Dominion Range 08012
     This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: DOM 08012
Observed fall: No
Year found: 2008
Country: Antarctica [Collected by US Antarctic Search for Meteorites program (ANSMET)]
Mass:help 18.6 g
Classification
  history:
Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter:  AMN 32(2)  (2009)  Ureilite
Meteoritical Bulletin:  MB 98  (2010)  Ure
Recommended:  Ureilite    [explanation]

This is 1 of 499 approved meteorites classified as Ureilite.   [show all]
Search for other: Achondrites, Ureilites
Comments: Approved 4 Sep 2009
Writeuphelp
Writeup from AMN 32(2):
Sample Number DOM 08012
Pairing
Newsletter 32,2
Location Dominion Range
Field Number 18223
Dimensions 2.5 x 2.5 x 1.5
Weight 18.55
Original Classification Ureilite
Macroscopic Description - Roger Harrington
Dull black mottled brown fusion crust covers 40% of the exterior surface. The remaining 60% is a black to brown, coarse to fine grained matrix. The interior is a dark gray, medium to fine grained matrix.
Thin Section (,2) Description - Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach
The section consists of an aggregate of large (up to 2.5 mm) olivine grains. Individual olivine grains are rimmed by carbon-rich material containing traces of metal. Metal forms veins between olivines. Olivine has cores of Fa22, with rims reduced to Fa3. The meteorite is a ureilite.
Antarctic Meteorite Images for Sample DOM 08012
DOM 08012 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Sample Splits  DOM 08012 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Bottom View  DOM 08012 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing East View  DOM 08012 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing North View 
DOM 08012 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing South View  DOM 08012 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Top View  DOM 08012 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing West View  DOM 08012 Meteorite Sample Photograph Showing Sample Splits 
DOM 08012 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Plane-Polarized Light  DOM 08012 Meteorite Thin Section Photo with 5x magnification in Cross-Polarized Light 
Data from:
  MB98
  Table 2
  Line 12:
Mass (g):18.6
Class:Ure
Weathering grade:B
Fayalite (mol%): 3.0-22
Ferrosilite (mol%):
Classifier:SI
Type spec location:JSC, SI
Main mass:JSC
Comments:Fracturing A
Institutions
   and collections
JSC: Mailcode KT, 2101 NASA Parkway, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 3 Sep 2013)
SI: Department of Mineral Sciences, NHB-119, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, United States; Website (institutional address; updated 16 Jan 2012)
Catalogs:
Search for this meteorite in the NASA/JSC database (U.S.):   
References: Published in Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter 32(2) (2009), JSC, Houston
Published in Meteoritical Bulletin, no. 98, MAPS 45, 1530-1551 (2010)
Find references in NASA ADS:
Find references in Google Scholar:
Geography:

Antarctica
Coordinates:Unknown.

Statistics:
     This is 1 of 38940 approved meteorites from Antarctica (plus 5051 unapproved names)

Direct link to this page