Mercury Exploration Assessment Group (MExAG)
The Mercury Exploration Assessment Group (MExAG) is a community-based, interdisciplinary body that was established by NASA in 2020 to provide science input and analysis needed to plan and prioritize Mercury research and exploration activities. Membership of MExAG, and participation in its activities, is open to all members of the planetary science and exploration community who are interested in the exploration of Mercury.
Details about MExAG, including its purpose, activities, organization, and processes can be found in the MExAG Terms of Reference.
If you would like to become a member of MExAG, please complete the MExAG Indication of Interest form.
Steering Committee Nominations
MExAG is now accepting nominations for its Steering Committee. The new MExAG Steering Committee is Chaired by Steven A. Hauck, II, Case Western Reserve University, and will be composed of the following positions:
- Chair (Steven A. Hauck, II, Case Western Reserve Universityy)
- Five Discipline Committee Members (magnetosphere, exosphere, geology, geochemistry, geophysics)
- Two Early-Career Committee Members (within five years of their terminal degree)
- NASA Liaison (Shoshana Weider, NASA Headquarters)
The nominal term for Steering Committee members will be three years, with approximately one-third of the Steering Committee commencing their term each year.
To ensure continuous membership and continuity of institutional knowledge, the terms of the initial Steering Committee members will be staggered so that one-third serve one year, one-third serve two years, and one-third serve three years. Members of the initial Steering Committee who are appointed for less than the nominal term will have the opportunity to serve a second term of the nominal length.
The Steering Committee members will be selected to achieve a functional balance and diversity from members of the Mercury exploration, and planetary science, community.
To make a (self) nomination for the MExAG Steering Committee please send the information below to Dr Shoshana Weider (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Nominations will close at 11.59pm (EDT) on May 27, 2020 so that the Steering Committee can be in place before the Planetary Science and Astrobiology Decadal Survey White Paper submission deadline.
- Full Name
- Discipline(s) of interest (select all that apply):
- Is the nominee within five years of terminal degree? (Yes/No)
- Describe the qualities and qualifications that you feel make the nominee a good choice for the MExAG Steering Committee (maximum 500 words).
- A 1-page CV