Position Opening: Director of the Lunar and Planetary Institute
USRA is seeking a Director to provide scientific leadership for and management of the Lunar and Planetary Institute (LPI) and to maintain it as a premier research center in support of the NASA strategic goals in planetary science and exploration of the solar system. The Director will identify new opportunities to leverage the base funding provided by NASA to strengthen and broaden the funding for research at the LPI as well as partner with NASA’s Johnson Space Center (JSC) to advance the center Lunar and Planetary Science goals and provide local oversight of the institutional functions associated with the USRA owned facility in Houston.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise and provide technical and management guidance to any LPI outreach program (including educational outreach) that exists or becomes available.
- Provide general oversight over the institutional function of USRA Houston (administrative and facilities), and provide supervision of the USRA Houston Business Manager.
- Meet all the obligations and commitments in the Cooperative Agreement with NASA. Contact each NASA customer on a routine basis to see where USRA might be of further service and to assure the continued success of current obligations.
- Maintain a presence in the appropriate research fields, which should include maintenance of an active research program with ongoing publication and funding activities.
- Develop and maintain a high profile with the NASA customer and US academic institutions (e.g., the National Academies) through participation on and leadership of review and advisory panels.
- Identify and pursue new initiatives within the scope of the LPI Cooperative Agreement and in consultation with appropriate stakeholders
- Ph.D. in one of the following fields: geosciences, planetary sciences, physics, astronomy or associated fields, plus at least 10 years experience past the Ph.D. level required.
- Must have at least 5 years of proven management experience.
All interested candidates must apply directly on our website at https://usracareers.silkroad.com/.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity