Call for Participation – Training Opportunity
July 25-27, 2016
The Planetary Photogrammetry Guest Facility at the Astrogeology Science Center of the U.S. Geological Survey would like to announce its Call for Participation for a training opportunity on July 25-27, 2016. This training will cover photogrammetric processing of planetary stereo imagery using USGS Integrated Software for Imagers and Spectrometers and SOCET SET® software developed by BAE Systems. The training is free to participants, and will cover end-to-end, hands-on photogrammetric procedures for surface extraction (i.e., digital elevation model generation) from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter HiRISE image pairs. The topics include:
- An introduction to photogrammetric procedures and surface generation techniques;
- Overview of HiRISE imagery;
- Workflow and data exchange between USGS Integrated Software for Imagers and Spectrometers and SOCET Set®
The hands-on training will include an overview of USGS Integrated Software for Imagers and Spectrometers preprocessing, SOCET SET® import of image and reference data, orientation procedures, triangulation and bundle adjustment, automated surface extraction of digital terrain models (DTM), editing, and data export.
If you are interested in participating in this opportunity, then please send an email to Donna Galuszka (PlanetaryPhotogrammetry@usgs.gov) with the following specific information:
- Your name and title
- Address, phone number, and email address
- Brief statement describing your interest in the training, and current relevant research you are participating in.
Please note that seating for this session is limited to 12 individuals, so please express your interest as soon as possible. Once the class is full, we will maintain a wait-list in case there are cancellations, and to notify interested individuals of future training opportunities.
- Training will be 3 days, Monday through Wednesday, July 25-27, 2016.
- Participants will use standardized sets of HiRISE images throughout the training.
- For more workshop information, see: http://bit.ly/LearnSocetSet
- For information about a USGS Integrated Software for Imagers and Spectrometers Hands-on Workshop being held July 28-29, 2016 – also hosted by the Astrogeology Science Center, please see: https://isis.astrogeology.usgs.gov/fixit/projects/isis/news. Interested individuals can attended both the SOCET SET® and the USGS Integrated Software for Imagers and Spectrometers
- If you are interested in the online USGS Integrated Software for Imagers and Spectrometers workshop, please see: http://isis.astrogeology.usgs.gov/IsisWorkshop/index.php/IsisWorkshop
“These workshops are a great opportunity for Astrogeology to make available to the whole planetary community our unique and world-class expertise in planetary photogrammetry, which has been an integral part of our mandate since the inception of Apollo missions where our team was the first to generate geodetic-grade maps of the moon,” said Astrogeology Director Dr. Laszlo Kestay