The Department of Physics and Astronomy at Northern Arizona University is seeking excellent candidates for a tenure-track position in astronomy and/or planetary science at the Assistant Professor level beginning in August 2017 to help launch its new PhD program. Application reviews will begin on October 24, 2016, with the new hires starting in August of 2017.
An earned doctorate in astronomy, planetary science, or a related field conferred by start date (August 14, 2017)
-Demonstrated interest or ability to develop a research program that involves undergraduate and graduate students
· A demonstrated record of publications and/or extramural funding in astronomy and/or planetary science
· Evidence of high quality teaching and commitment to student success at graduate and undergraduate levels
· Expertise in exoplanets, astro-informatics, astro-chemistry, astronomical instrumentation, and/or observational astronomy specializing in Solar System objects, exoplanets, or related topics
· Demonstrated experience with or commitment to working with students, colleagues, and community members from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
Applications for a faculty position must include:
- a CV;
- a statement describing teaching experience and philosophy;
- a statement describing research interests;
- a statement describing how the applicant plans to increase diversity among the students, staff, and/or faculty of the Department;
- an unofficial copy of your graduate transcript;
- the names and contact information of three references.
Save all items, in the order stated, as a single PDF and apply through http://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Careers/Faculty-and-Administrator-Openings/ and select faculty openings; search for “Astronomy”— select “Assistant Professor – 602693″. Click on “Apply Now” on that page and attach the PDF with the above mentioned items.
Only complete application packets submitted through NAU HR will be reviewed.
Please address questions to:
Astronomy and Planetary Science Search Committee Chair, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Northern Arizona University, NAU Box 6010, Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6010
or send email to Astro.Jobs@nau.edu
or call us at (928) 523-2661.
The search will remain open until the position is filled or closed; however, the screening committee will begin reviewing applications on October 24, 2016.