The Education and Public Outreach (EPO) team of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory has an opportunity for a part-time science writer. In collaboration with observatory scientific, technical, and media design staff, the science writer will communicate scientific and technical concepts to science-attentive public audiences by researching, planning, and writing content for articles, exhibits, brochures, and scripts for multimedia programs based on Education and Public Outreach’s (EPO) growing digital asset collection.
The position is based at our headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia, on the grounds of the University of Virginia (http://www.virginia.edu). Remote work option is also available. In addition to competitive pay, NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective first day of employment. NRAO’s retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participant’s base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
Job responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
* Works with scientific and technical staff to identify and creatively communicate significant observatory science and technical topics via EPO’s website and other means
* Writes informative, educational, lay language content for a variety of science-attentive public audiences.
* Supports and supplements the work of the Observatory’s public information officers in developing newsworthy content for the media.
* Reviews and ensures the accuracy and quality of delivered products.
* Pro-active compliance with NRAO and government safety policies and procedures in own work area is expected.
* Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, education, astronomy, physical science, or a related field is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
Five years of related work experience writing for a comparable scientific or education and public outreach program.
* Proven record as a self-starter who has a history of taking initiative.
* Excellent skills in communication, research, organization, storytelling, and web content management systems.
* Ability to work as a team member toward the achievement of team goals.
* Knowledge of WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, and digital asset management skills are a plus.
* Apply at http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/job/o5FW7fwx/apply
* Applicants must be prepared to upload a CV/resume and cover letter.
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer.
Charles E. Blue
Public Information Officer
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National Science Foundation operated under cooperative agreement by Associated Universities, Inc.