Job Opportunity: Tenure-Track Assistant & Associate Researcher at The University of Hawai`i

Tenure-Track Assistant (R3M11) and Associate Researcher (R4M11): Earth and Planetary Exploration Using Small Satellites (position numbers 86164 and 85911):

The University of Hawai`i (UH) established the Hawai`i Space Flight Laboratory (HSFL) in 2007 as a collaboration between the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST) and College of Engineering (CoE). HSFL is an interdisciplinary science/engineering organization that designs, builds, tests, launches, and operates microsatellite (1-150 kg) missions from the Hawaiian Islands. HSFL has a microsatellite engineering team of mechanical, avionics, and software engineering staff and students. The HSFL Integration & Test Facility has a well-equipped cleanroom and environmental test and evaluation facilities (thermal-vacuum chamber, shake table, attitude determination and control test unit). HSFL draws science mission inspiration from its parent organization, the Hawai`i Institute of Geophysics and Planetology (HIGP/SOEST) which participates in NASA, NSF, NOAA, and DoD instrument development and science research in Earth and planetary science missions. One of the goals of HSFL is to provide experiential learning/research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students in order to train a new aerospace workforce. HIGP seeks to hire two tenure-track faculty members (one appointment will be made at the assistant level, the other at the associate level) to lead the development of small/micro/cube satellite missions (or the development of key subsystems, such as payloads) to support new Earth and planetary science missions. The successful candidates will seek and obtain extramural funding in support of this, take an active role in student advising and teaching, and publish research results in the refereed literature.

These are permanent full-time (100% FTE) tenure-track faculty positions with 75% State support. The remaining 25% support will come from the successful candidates’ extramural grants and contracts. Both positions are available from July 1, 2018.

More information