POSITION TITLE: LASSO Subject Matter Expert – Physics
REPORTS TO: Director, Space Science and Technology Programs
SURA is seeking a senior scientist to support research and technology development under the Laboratory Support Services and Operations (LASSO) contract at Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The scientist will work to understand and predict – through modeling and experimentation – the way particles move in the lunar surface environment, particularly when the surface is impinged upon by rocket engine blasts or under highly charged (electrostatic) conditions. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
• Assist in designing experiments and models to analyze and measure dust particles in atmospheres and vacuums.
• Perform standard scientific work requiring application of techniques and procedures.
• Detect problems when using standardized procedures because of sample conditions, difficulties with the equipment, etc.
• Lead and/or conduct specific phases of projects.
• Propose appropriate analytical methods and techniques. Provide advice and consulting services within scope of scientific knowledge.
• Utilize mathematical principles to analyze data to derive mathematical equations and models.
• Draw conclusions and makes recommendations based on analysis.
• Interpret and record data, conduct analyses, compare findings to relevant studies and local, state, and federal regulations to ensure compliance.
• Draft and finalize documentation, including both professional and project related.
• Support proposal development.
• Assist in other activities as assigned.
— Ph.D. with 5-20+ years of experience.
TYPE AND AMOUNT OF SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
— Knowledge and understanding physics and advanced mathematics, particularly surface and granular physics.
— Experience with modeling software; Mathematica or COMSOL highly desirable.
— Experience with material engineering is desirable, and aerospace experience is a plus.
— Must be able to manage multiple projects in different research areas simultaneously.
— Must be comfortable working in a dynamic environment where goals and plans change.
— Must process strong communication and writing skills, and have proficiency in general PC computing.
To apply, send cover letter and CV to [email protected] by March 20, 2020. Salary commensurate with experience.
SURA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. EOE/M/F/D/V
Visit the Lunar-L website at: http://www3.nd.edu/~cneal/Lunar-L/
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to l[email protected]