The National Academy of Sciences announced the election of 120 members and 26 international members in recognition of their distinguished and continuing achievements in original research.
Those elected bring the total number of active members to 2,403 and the total number of international members to 501. International members are nonvoting members of the Academy, with citizenship outside the United States.
Among the newly elected members are the following scientists in the planetary science community:
– Marc Hirschmann, University of Minnesota
– Francis Nimmo, University of California, Santa Cruz
– Roger Summons, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
– Veronica Vaida, University of Colorado, Boulder
– Joel Blum, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor