California Institute of Technology Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships
The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF) program is one of the “crown jewels” of Caltech. Since 1979, SURF students have had the opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of experienced mentors working at the frontier of their fields. Students experience the process of research as a creative intellectual activity from beginning (defining and developing a project) to end (presenting their results at SURF Seminar Day).
SURF is modeled on the grant-seeking process:
- Students collaborate with a potential mentor to define and develop a project
- Applicants write research proposals as part of the application process
- Faculty review the proposals and recommend awards
- Students carry out the work over a 10-week period during the summer from June 15, 2021, through August 20, 2021
- At the conclusion of the program, students submit a technical paper and give an oral presentation at one of several SURF Seminar Days, symposia modeled on a professional technical meeting.
Application materials will be accepted through February 22, 2021. For more information, visit https://www.sfp.caltech.edu/programs/surf.
WAVE Fellows Program
Caltech’s WAVE Fellows program aims to foster diversity by increasing the participation of underrepresented students in science and engineering Ph.D. programs and making Caltech’s programs more visible and accessible to students not traditionally exposed to Caltech.
WAVE Fellows will have the opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of Caltech faculty working at the frontier of their fields.
- Applicants will identify several possible mentors with whom they are interested in working.
- Once accepted, Fellows will work with their mentor to define and develop a research project.
- Fellows will carry out the work over a 10-week period during the summer and submit two interim reports, a research abstract, and final paper. At the conclusion of the program, students give an oral presentation at one of several SURF Seminar Days, symposia modeled on a professional technical meeting
The application deadline for WAVE is January 8, 2021. For more information, visit http://www.sfp.caltech.edu/programs/wavefellows.