California Institute of Technology Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships
The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF) program is one of the “crown jewels” of Caltech. Since 1979, SURF students have had the opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of experienced mentors working at the frontier of their fields. Students experience the process of research as a creative intellectual activity from beginning (defining and developing a project) to end (presenting their results at SURF Seminar Day).
SURF is modeled on the grant-seeking process:
- Students collaborate with a potential mentor to define and develop a project
- Applicants write research proposals as part of the application process
- Faculty review the proposals and recommend awards
- Students carry out the work over a 10-week period during the summer
- At the conclusion of the program, students submit a technical paper and give an oral presentation at one of several SURF Seminar Days, symposia modeled on a professional technical meeting.
Fellows receive a $6275 award for the ten-week period. Award payments are distributed in equal installments in late June and late July.
The deadline for all application materials is February 22, 2018. For more information, visit https://www.sfp.caltech.edu/programs/surf.